Don’t Try this At Home! An often asked question is “Can I do my own living trust?” The short answer is “yes”. There is no law that forbids a person from writing his or her own trust, will, durable power of attorney for finances, and health care directive. In fact, there is no law that prevents an individual from doing surgery on himself or herself. The question is the capability of the surgeon. Best to work with an expert!
What Do Estate Planning Documents Accomplish?
In working with a reputable expert in the field of Estate Planning you are certain to have all your documents prepared and filed correctly. A skilled trust and estate attorney will assist you with the following:
- Get the estate to the proper beneficiaries
- Name a good trustee, money manager, and health care agent
- Provide what happens if a beneficiary predeceases the Settlor
- Establish a trust for minor children
- Take into account estate tax planning
- Provide a special needs trust for someone with developmental disabilities
- Provide for alternative fiduciaries
- Address the specific nature and all the subtleties of their particular situation
Great Estate Plans Begin with the Right Questions
When it comes to estate planning the bottom line is that an individual should consult with someone who knows the law and has detailed experience in the field of estate planning. As I see it, one of the most important duties of an attorney is to ask the Right Questions so that documents are drafted to allow for changes in circumstances: births, incapacities, and deaths. A good attorney does so much more than just prepare legal documents. Before you decide to do Brain Surgery or your own Estate Plan, consider setting a time for a Free Legal Consultation at my office.
You are welcome to print this Free 30 Minute Legal Consultation and use it to get some of your initial questions answered at no charge!
This blog contains general information and is not meant to apply to a specific situation. Please seek advice of counsel before proceeding as each case is unique.